Monday, September 9, 2013

Day Four: Cat Fight

We started off our day on the later side this morning. There was a really good breakfast place across the street from our apartment that served a steaming hot bowl of vermicelli noodle in soup, but they strictly stop serving their noodle soups at 11am so we literally looked like crazy cat ladies when entering.

Each noodle bowl actually comes with toast, and your choice of fluffy scrambled eggs or hot dogs. The people close to me know that I actually don't like American food, and hot dogs are not exempt from my list. But the little hot dogs in hong kong are really good! Andrea got horlick which is a hot, malted, creamy beverage served in many cafes and I got milk tea which was served in a bowl of ice so that your drink doesn't get too diluted. I've never had it like that before.




We finally got our own table this time. If the plate settings and utensils aren't immediately given to you, just look to the side of your table. Most restaurants out here have individual drawers under each table that are stocked with chopsticks and toothpicks. (Napkins too if you're lucky.)
After brunch, we walked down Tung Choi Street which is known as the pet district. There are hundreds of shops selling exotic fish, cats, dogs and rabbits. Not for eating, mind you. There are also dog cafes emerging where patrons can dine with the cafe's dogs for a fee. Sounds ridiculous, but the majority of Hong Kong citizens live in apartment complexes that don't allow pets.
While andrea looked for a pen she really wanted, I took a look through a couple pet shops. $999hk dollars for a puppy of your choice!

The rabbits were pretty adorable too. A couple nights ago we stopped into a bunny parlor. We saw about 9 different rabbits living in a little display case. We started matching each one based on their mannerisms to people we knew from church. As we were leaving, I saw this big yellow cat with a squashed face. I told andrea that she looked like it LOL. I was totally kidding, but right when I said that, her face became all squashed up hahaha.
The day before, our now mutual friend Carmen who has done photography for Lane Crawford invited us out to Vogue China's Fashions Night out at Lane Crawford! We started getting ready and freaking out about what to wear for that.


The event was really unique and fun. I've only been to one another fashions night out in LA awhile ago, but the one in hk was done on a different scale. Different little booths were scattered throughout the store dishing out creative cocktails inspired by various designers and doing temporary tattoos.




We got to try out those things as well as Kirin beer slushies. But the most interesting interactive display was a duo called The Bumbys.




Their table read, "An honest and unbiased opinion on your look" and thats essentially what they did. You step before The Bumbys and their typewriter, they look you up and down, and begin judging your physical appearance. There was such a long line for it that we decided not to do it, but I just had a moment where I looked around at everything that was going on and I felt a surge of sadness. Even though I knew The Bumbys is just for fun, some people are complete slaves to vanity, and this industry can be dark. Just a thought. We finished fashions night out at the Ciate Nail Polish bar where we sat across from the founder (OMG) while doing our own manicures.

I failed to mention something very important. Andrea and I did all these things while we were in a fight. I wasn't sure whether or not this little detail would be interesting to external readers but I decided to go ahead with it because one, I believe interpersonal relationships are relevant and important when traveling, two i recieved permission to disclose the details, three my original intent behind keeping a travel blog was to remind myself of the feelings I felt when abroad, and four it has an interesting ending.
Basically, there were a couple of misunderstandings and frustrated feelings on both ends. It really felt like we were a couple going through one of those push and pull fights. She was on edge about meeting someone at the event and other things going on, and I felt like she was putting out her frustrations and stress on me. I ended up telling her that I was tired and didn't feel like going to the bars anymore which added fuel to the fire. We couldn't even look at one another on the subway going back towards home. We forgot that we didn't eat, and I was glad when she broke the silence and motioned towards a fish ball noodle soup restaurant.


Before the food came, we squashed it. We ended up apologizing to one another and accepting that we just enjoy different things. For one, she likes a drink or two, but I don't enjoy that scene as much anymore. But more importantly, we realized that we don't fight enough and that this was good for our friendship. We ended up talking for two hours, crying, laughing, you name it. I almost wanted to name this entry "Two Girls, Two Napkins" since we couldn't control out tears at the restaurant.
I guess the funny part came when we returned back the apartment and we were both looking at the temporary tattoos we got on our arms at the fashion event. Out of all the tattoos, I picked out this really cute one that looked like a butterfly. But the more I looked at it, I realized something was a little off..It was actually a spider. I have a bad case of arachnophobia where I can't even touch a page that has a spider printed on it let alone have it on my arm. I broke out in a cold sweat and Andrea had to help me scratch it off cause I couldn't touch/look at it. A great way to end my night.

No comments:

Post a Comment